Join with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah and help us defend the potential of Utah's kids. Together with our Bigs, Littles, guardians, donors and staff, we clear the path to a kid's biggest possible future. Last year, BBBSU provided mentoring and support to more than 1,309 children across Utah. With the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020, our work is more urgent than ever before. Whether from behind a mask or on Zoom, our mentors are committed to providing needed support to our Littles.
Our mission is URGENT:
- 44,000 Utah kids have experienced separation from a parent due to incarceration.
- 11% of Utah kids ages 6 to 18 are living in poverty.
- Suicide is the #1 cause of death among Utah youth ages 11-17.
- 5,000 kids per year go through the foster care system in Utah; 72% of new cases are related to parental substance abuse.
Our impact is SIGNIFICANT:
- After one year with a Big, 94% of Littles report increased social acceptance. Social acceptance is associated with both better friendships and better behavior in school.
- 86% are doing better in school.
- 85% are less likely to be involved in risky behaviors.
- Only 1 in 3 people will grow up with a mentor in their life; having a trusted adult in addition to a parent leads to better grades and improved graduation rates.
Stand with us today to defend, ignite, and empower the potential in local kids.